Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Chainsaw Is A Girl's Best Friend

Chainsaw Sally 2004
Director: Jimmyo Burril
Writer: Jimmyo Burril
Starring April Monique Burril, Gunnar Hansen, Mark Redfield, Alec Joseph and Kristen Hudson

This is a film I had been hearing a lot of great things about it, and I am happy to say this didn't disappoint, in fact it exceeded my expectations. Chainsaw Sally is a great horror comedy hybrid, which had me rolling on the floor laughing my butt off. April Monique Burril was amazing, she really was the glue that held this film together. You just couldn't stop watching her whenever she was on screen. The gore and effects were pretty awesome for a low budget independent film.
The plot basics are this, Sally (Burril) is the town librarian in the small town of Porterville, and she seems quite normal, but at night she goes hog wild and kills people who have wronged her, or she doesn't feel they are contributing to society. We move to a town meeting where a land developer is planning on building condos and high rises all through the town. He meets wit Steve (Redfield), who owns a big patch of land he wants to develop on. Unbeknownst to him Sally and her brother (Joseph) live on the land, and will do anything to make sure that nothing happens to the land. It all leads to a bloodbath of an ending that will leave a shit eating grin on your face.
I fell in love with this movie, and I am now kicking myself for not having seen it sooner. The direction by Burril is great, he has some great homages to films like Jaws and Texas Chainsaw Massacre in the film, and they flow together so well. The writing by Burril is flawless too, the humor just comes out so naturally and it never seems faked or forced. The acting in the film is good, but this is really April's show and she shines whenever she is on screen, I also love the bit Part Gunnar Hansen had too, he was great with what little screen time he had. I also have to comment on the scene with the town council, where they have a guy speak, who is clearly modeled after Quint from Jaws and he does a flawless job. The gore and effects were great for a film of this scope. I highly recommend this to horror fans with a sick and depraved sense of humor like me.
I give this one 5 twirling chainsaws out of 5

No comments: