Thursday, May 21, 2009

Which Witch Is Which?


Book Of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 2000
Director: Joe Berlinger
Writers: Dick Beebe and Joe Berlinger
Starring Kim Director, Jeffrey Donavon, Erica Leerhsen, Tristan Skylar and Stephen Baxter Turner

The Blair Witch Project is one of the most famous and popular horror films in the last few years, though I am not one who shares that sentiment. I just did not like much of anything form the original film. I feel the characters were annoying and unlikable and the scares were non existent. I really enjoy the sequel though. It has a great atmosphere and some characters I can actually care about, specifically Erica and Kim. Also, it plays on 2 levels as a straight up horror film, and also as a suspense film, as you can view the film in both of those ways and still enjoy it. I really think this film gets an unwarranted bad rap.
The plot basics are this, Jeff (Donavon) has started a Blair Witch Tour, to cash in on the popularity of the film the Blair Witch Project. He brings along 4 other people, a couple writing a book on the phenomena, a Wiccan (Leerhsen) and a Goth chick (Director). They camp out where the original tapes were found but when they wake up their equipment is all trashed, along with the couple's writings. Though, they find their video tapes and they are missing 5 hours of activities. They go back to Jeff's place to look into the videos and that is when bizarre and strange stuff occurs. As the story progresses, they start to see hallucinations and Erica ends up disappearing. Tempers run high and it all leads to a tragic ending, where no one is who you think thyme are, and makes you wonder if it was a supernatural phenomenon or people who just snapped.
I think this film turned out really well, I was expecting to hate it the first time I saw it, but with every viewing I appreciate it more. The direction is creepy and atmospheric, with a little sexiness thrown in there too. The writing is good too, as it flashes back and forth from the past to the present as it tries to put together the pieces of what happened. The actors were great, I especially loved Leerhsen and Director, they were sexy and believable, you actually felt their dilemmas, and they really conveyed their tenuous grip on reality. The effects in the film was quite good and believable as well. I also really enjoyed the soundtrack, it really seemed to fit the mood of the piece well. I would say if you didn't like the first Blair Witch, give this one a chance and you will be pleasantly surprised.
I give this one 3 out of 5

No comments: