Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pancakes, Pancakes!!


Cabin Fever 2002
Director: Eli Roth
Writers: Eli Roth and Randy Pearlstein
Starring Rider Strong, Jordan Ladd, Cerina Vincent, James DeBello, Joey Kern and Arie Verveen

This is a film I have not revisited since I saw it in theaters in 2003. When I went to see it I was feeling ill and the next day I ended up in the hospital for a week, so I think the film just raised bad connotations for me. So, I thought I would revisit it, and see if I still dislike it as much as I remembered. Thankfully, I enjoyed it much more this time and also while re watching you can see how the film was playing on peoples post 9/11 fears of things like Anthrax. I also think too many people give Roth shit and I think he is a good director, who just gets better with each movie. This film has a pseudo- documentary feel to it like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Last House on the left does. I also think the cast does a great job and the effects in the film are sick and brutal.
The plot basics are this, it opens with a hermit (Verveen) living out in the woods and discovers his dog dead with his flesh rotted away. We then cut to 5 college students on a break and they have rented a secluded cabin for the week. We meet Paul (Strong) who is friends with Karen (Ladd) and is trying to move their relationship to the romantic level. There is also Jeff (Kern) and Marcy (Vincent) who are dating each other and their obnoxious friend Bert (DeBello). They reach the cabin and everything is going well until, Bert shoots the hermit, who seems to have some disease. he runs away but later that night the Hermit comes back and scare them and they try to scare him away, but after he messes up their car he gets set on fire and runs away burning alive. He dies but not till he falls into the drinking water of the area, and infecting the water with his disease, which is a flesh eating virus. Most of them end up drinking the water and start getting sick with their skin rotting off. This causes them all to turn on each other and it ends rather badly for all of them.
This is really a good film. It is nice to watch an original horror film with all the sequels and remakes we are subjected to these days. Roth's direction is great, with a real grainy feel to the film. The script is good too, you really feel for Strong and Ladd's characters most of all. The acting is strong too, Strong is a great lead and Ladd is very good at playing the romantic lead, that suddenly turns horribly wrong. Loved the gore effects in the film, my personal favorite is the leg shaving scene, that still gives me goose bumps. The music is great too and I love how Roth uses the music from Last House on the Left in the film. This is a film well worth seeing and I can see myself re watching it again.
This one gets 4 out of 5

No comments: